MUSE 114 - Music Appreciation - 3 units (Transfers to CSU, UC)
Gunnar Eisel www.eisel.us
Text: Roger Kamien, Music: An Appreciation: An Appreciation, Brief 7th edition
This course is an introduction to music from the Renaissance through the twentieth century. Units on opera, keyboard music, symphonic, chamber, and jazz will be covered. It will include a survey of musical styles, a study of musical forms, and a brief introduction to the important composers of each time period. We will also discover how to listen to music as well as how to understand the language of music using music notation.
General Course Objectives: As a result of this course the student will:
1. Successfully identify music from the various historical eras through listening to and reading about it.
2. Recognize the contributions of specific individuals in the musical heritage of Western Art Music.
3. Learn to compare and contrast the various types and styles of Western Art Music.
4. Experience a variety of musical styles from other cultures.
1. Quizzes based on lecture materials and Unit readings.
2. Listening quizzes identifying music and styles from a selected list.
3. Class discussion and participation.
4. Other considerations: Students will work to develop their knowledge, understanding, and skills with the following:
1. Knowledge and Understanding
2. Form in Music.
3. Materials of Music.
4. Musical Types and Styles.
5. Major Composers.
6. Musical Instruments, the singing voice, and the conductor.
7. The cultural, political conditions that influenced the evolution of Western Art Music.
1. Ability to identify the various instruments of an orchestra by sight and sound.
2. Ability to identify by sound the various forms employed by composers.
3. Ability to discuss a musical composition in an intelligent manner.
Grading Policy: A student’s final grade will be determined as a result a unit tests.
Introduction: Instrument building, instrument types and music notation.
Unit 1: Music Listening skills
Unit 2: Antiquity to the early Middle ages
Test 1 (50 question scantron test)
Unit 3: Late Middle ages to the Early Renaissance
Unit 4: The Early and Middle Baroque Period
Test 2 (50 question scantron test)
Unit 5: The Late Baroque Period
Unit 6: Sonata, Symphony, and Opera In The Early Classic Period
Test 3 (50 question scantron test)
Unit 7: The 19th Century Romantic Movement
Unit 8: The Beginnings of the 20th Century
Final (50 question scantron test)
Tests are on 882 Scantrons
90-100 %= A
80-89 % = B
70-79 % = C
60-69 % = D
0-59 % = F
Attendance is taken by sign-in sheet
10 Points are deducted for more than 3 absences.